What Does a Document Management System Do?
Have you ever wasted 30 minutes desperately searching for a file during the workday? If you answered yes, your employees probably have too—and all that wasted time adds up. Your disorganized document management strategy may be holding your business back more than you realize, but there is an easy solution: a document management system. Learn what document management systems do and how one could benefit your business.
What Is the Purpose of a Document Management System?
Think about how many documents you and your employees use. If you’re in a document-heavy industry like healthcare or law, you may search for, modify, and share hundreds of files each day. With so many documents, it’s easy for things to get misplaced, deleted, or even shared with the wrong person, all of which could lead to major issues for your business.
The purpose of a document management system is to standardize how you create, store, access, and share files across your organization. Electronic document management systems can significantly improve your productivity and elevate your security measures.
What do document management systems do, exactly? These software systems have many capabilities, including:
- Digitizing paper documents: With a document management system, you can throw out your filing cabinets and store everything in an on-premises or cloud-based electronic system.
- Converting static files into editable or searchable formats: When files aren’t interactive, you either have to print them out and edit them manually or use a system to convert them. Document management systems automatically convert static files to ensure they’re interactive.
- Organizing files: Five employees might store the same file type in five different locations without a document management system. Document management software keeps documents in one central place and organizes them using a standardized method.
- Version control: Are you unsure who edited your latest project? A document management system creates an audit trail by telling you who made revisions, when, and what they changed.
- Managing file access: If you store files containing confidential information, it’s crucial to limit file access to necessary individuals. With a document management system, you can choose which users are able to view and edit every file.
Ultimately, document management systems make your employees’ lives easier by eliminating the annoying roadblocks they encounter when using business documents.
Why Use a Document Management System?
There are several reasons why businesses should consider using automated document management software. Here are some ways you can use your new system to make your business better.
Every minute your employees spend sifting through emails, printing out documents that aren’t editable, or searching for previous versions of their projects is a minute they could have used more productively. Document management systems significantly reduce wasted time by eliminating inefficiencies in your document retrieval, creation, and storage process.
Paper-based files are a security hazard. If an employee misplaces or loses a document containing private information, it could end up in the wrong hands and lead to a compliance violation. By turning paper files into digital documents, you can minimize human error, manage security features, and limit access to sensitive files.
Manage Tasks With Document Management System Workflow Automation
Many documents go through several rounds of edits from different employees before they become a finished product. If one person forgets to complete their revisions on time, it can throw off your timeline. Document management systems automate workflows by assigning tasks and notifying individuals when it’s time to complete a specific step in the process.
Now that more workplaces have switched to a remote or hybrid work model, it’s difficult for employees to collaborate on projects. However, with a content management system, you can make collaboration easy from any location. Your software system can house digital documents, show new changes, and notify employees when it’s time to lend their knowledge to a project.
Are You Considering Going Paperless in the Office?
Learn the benefits and drawbacks and discover if it’s possible for your business.
Boost Productivity With a Document Management System from SOS
You probably wouldn’t include document management on your list of essential business processes, but it has a substantial impact on how your employees work. With a document management system, your team members can get more done in less time, finish every project before its deadline, and collaborate across different locations and time zones.
Are you ready to choose a document management system? Superior Office Solutions offers cutting-edge software from Canon and other reputable providers. Our document management experts help you install your new system, integrate it with existing customer relationship management (CRM) or print management systems, and guide you through the transition period.
Contact us today to learn more about our print and document managed solutions.
Share This Post
Superior Office Solutions has been adding a personal touch to the office equipment leasing industry since 1999. With four convenient locations in the tri-state area, we provide world-class equipment and unbeatable service to over 4,000 customers.